Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lyon, France


On Tuesday, May 22, I left Paris in a rental car and drove back to HEC for my “official” campus visit. This had become somewhat superfluous after already having spent so much time on the campus the week before, but I wanted to meet with a few folks from the admissions and career offices to see what they had to say. The thing that stuck out most for me was some remark about all students receiving an iPod through a partnership with Apple, and all of the lectures being available as podcasts. Just when I thought the university experience had hit some pinnacle of technology, there’s yet another new development. In college, it was the rollout of duo-docking laptop systems and the World Wide Web itself. Then in law school it was fully “wired” classrooms. Now podcasts. I can’t imagine what universities will be like in another ten years…

Anywhoosie, after having lunch with a couple of current students and some other prospective students, I hopped back in my Renault and moseyed on down south to Lyon. Since the increasing strength of the Euro against the dollar is causing the cost of my MBA program to grow progressively more expensive week after week, thereby wrecking my rather unforgiving budget, I decided to economize and camp out in Lyon.


Me, my car and my tent. It was a great campground just outside Lyon, but oddly I was the only one tent-camping. Everyone else was in a winnebago.

Once I was all poled out and staked down, I made my way into Lyon. This was my first visit to the city, and I really liked it: beautiful architecture, friendly locals, and a pedestrian-friendly historic center. Here are some snapshots of the city:

The requisite equestrian statue of Louis XIV. Does every French city have one of these?

Buildings and fountains in the city center.

I forgot what this building was. Actually, I don’t think I ever knew. But it does bear a striking resemblance to the Hotel de Ville in Paris, so maybe it’s the Hotel de Ville of Lyon. Yes, let’s go with that.

Fun with light and shadows.

At the very top of my list of things I love about Lyon is the fact that they have a circus supply store right in the heart of the city. Just in case you need to pick up a unicycle or a red clown nose on the way home.

Another thing I loved about Lyon is that they have these self-service bicycle rental depots scattered around the city.

Equestrian Louie at night.

But alas, the magic couldn’t last forever. The next morning, as I groggily opened my eyes, this little beast was staring right back at me inside my tent:
Accordingly, I decided to break down camp a day early and head out for my next destination: Montclus.

No comments: