Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sydney Aquarium and further hijinks...

On Monday, Christine and I hit the fabulous Sydney Aquarium! ("Fabulous" because they actually let you bring ice cream right in with you -- my kind of place!)


Christine being swallowed by the aquarium's entrance.


Can we just take a moment to appreciate how adorable and frolicsome the platypus is???


And now a moment to appreciate just how creepy and primordial the crocodile is? Here are a couple of close-up pics of a pretty good-sized "salty," as they call 'em here.



My apologies for intermittently turning this blog into some kind show-and-tell on marine life, but I just can't help myself. Especially now that I've gotten into SCUBA diving, it seems like a good idea to learn about these critters I might be encountering on my next dive. Anywhoosie, here are a couple of video clips from the aquarium:


Long-necked turtle


Jellyfish -- aren't they totally hypnotic?

One of the really cool things about the Sydney Aquarium is these long tubes which pass under massive pools, one of which is home to a beach of seals and the other is full of sharks, rays and other fish.


Christine and me in the seal tube


Videoclip of seal tube


Videoclip of shark tube


Really big sea turtle

Okay, I'm almost done with the aquarium, I swear! ;-) But first, a short video of my new favorite fish, the clownfish. We already saw a couple of orange ones in the Great Barrier Reef, here are a couple of black ones at the Sydney Aquarium. I just love how these guys adopt a sea anemone and basically never stray more than a few inches away from it and will defend it against any intruders. (I'm totally cheezy when it comes to clownfish.)


Videoclip of clownfish

Lastly, here's a video of a shark ray -- how crazy is this thing???


Videoclip of shark ray

Okay, enough of the aquarium -- I'm clearly documenting too much of our visit there. Moving on from daytime Sydney to nighttime Sydney...


Cockle Bay Wharf at twilight


Brian and Richard are a couple from Seattle whom Christine and I first met on the Opera House tour, then we were randomly seated at the same table at Varla Jean, then of course I ran into them out on the town. Here we are at Stonewall. The guy in the black shirt is Brian and the guy in the white shirt is Richard, and the guy with the crazy eyes on the left is an "actor" in Sydney, but I don't remember his name. :-(


Jay, Stephanie and Elliot in their apartment in Sydney, getting ready for a big night on the town.

Stephanie, Elliot, Jay and me out in Kings Cross, Sydney.
Next up, last shots of Sydney! My Oz tour is nearly over! *sniff*

No comments: