Friday, May 25, 2007

Montclus, France

I spent the nights of May 23 & 24 at the Lotus Tree Resort, located in a rural area near the Ardeche Gorge, about 2 hours north of my final destination, Montpellier. The Lotus Tree is a small gay guesthouse run by a British couple in a converted centuries-old farmhouse and related outbuildings, with a view out to the medieval city of Montclus.


The view of Montclus at twilight from my bedroom window at the Lotus Tree.

Although pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and traveling alone, I had the great fortune of meeting a really cool British guy at breakfast my first morning at the Lotus Tree. Robert was also traveling solo, so we decided to spend the day exploring the Ardeche Gorge together. The Ardeche Gorge is a really scenic gorge (obviously!) formed (appropriately enough) by the Ardeche River. Here are some snapshots of our little driving tour:


Arch on the Ardeche River. Canoeing seems to be a very popular way of seeing the gorge – I’m hoping maybe Miguel and I will be able to do this when he comes to visit in July…


Me standing on the road that runs through/along the Ardeche Gorge.


Ditto


The Ardeche Gorge. Pretty, no?


I’m not really sure why I thought this was an appropriate sight-seeing outfit, but it was hot as hell that day and these were my lightest clothes.


It is forbidden to throw Pierre’s into the gorge. Fortunately, I don't know any.


Close up of all the gorges on my face.


Just to break up the monotony of gorgeous scenery, there are a number of impressive caves along the way. We decided to stop in for a tour of the Grotte de la Madeleine. It was actually awesome, but the tour was in French and I basically understood nothing. But it was very pretty and a welcome respite from the intense heat of the day.


Robert in the Grotte de la Madeleine. Unlike me, he was actually dressed respectably.


More of the Grotte de la Madeleine


Me in the Grotte de la Madeleine


Another view of the Gorge from the Grotte de la Madeleine


Me and Ditto.


Back out on the road.


Yet another view of the Ardeche Gorge


For lunch, we stopped at this cute little outdoor restaurant, the Auberge du Pouzat.


Robert and me at the Auberge du Pouzat


Back out along the gorge – I decided to climb up for a better view.


Later that same evening in the nearby town of Barjac, where we had dined al fresco.

It was so great hanging out with Robert and seeing the beautiful countryside around Montclus, that I was a little bummed to have to get up the next morning to continue my journey to Montpellier. But of course, very excited to finally see the city where I’d be spending nearly two months of the summer taking French classes.

No comments: