Saturday, December 02, 2006

Angel Falls Tour – 3rd Day


More waterfalls on Canaima Lagoon on our way back to the village.


A fellow guest at our Campamento.

This is what it means to travel alone. ;-) Because I arranged to fly directly from Canaima to Santa Elena after the Angel Falls tour (rather than returning to Ciudad Bolivar), this meant I had to remain in Canaima an additional night. My accommodation (i.e. hammock) was included, but food was not. Imagine my pangs of exclusion when I watched 18 people sit down to a feast of a lunch and I was left eating imitation nilla wafers (the closest thing I could find resembling food at the little shop in Canaima Village). Well, I decided to splurge and fork over the $6 for dinner that night so I wouldn’t feel excluded again. As would be just my luck, I was the only one who signed up for dinner Monday night, and the girls working at the campamento chose to emphasize that point by setting a table that could easily accommodate 40 people just for me – putting me dead center, natch.

Tuesday morning, I fly to Sanata Elena and hope to arrange a 6-day trekking tour to the summit of Mount Roraima. Tune in to see how it all unfolds…

(Obviously, I didn’t take this photo!)

No comments: