Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mount Roraima – Day 3 of 6 (December 8)

Day 3 was the day we actually ascended the tepuy. Total craziness. Fortunately, my cold abated for the day (but wound up coming back with a vengeance the next day...)



A view from our base camp up to the top of Roraima. I’m still unclear how we’re supposed to get up this thing.


Getting ready to head off on the 3rd day.


Just before Tiffany and I headed off on the 3rd day – if you enlarge the pic and look closely, you can actually see the rest of our group already pretty far up the trail.


One of dozens of waterfalls on the way up.


Okay, we’ve reached the wall – now what???


Here I am on what was probably some of the easier section of trail for the day. Notice the waterfall at my feet, ensuring the requisite amount of moss and moisture underfoot. You can also see the ever-growing rip along the side of my backpack where a green stuff sack is poking out. Fortunately, Katherina had some extra straps she lent me to keep my pack together. I can’t believe the bag didn’t even last a week! :-(


A view along the wall.


Gosh, this is steep.



The views are gorgeous, but I’m not convinced we’re really making any progress…

No comments: