Saturday, January 20, 2007

Galapagos Day 7: Rabida Island and Chinese Hat Island!


Our schedule for the day!


View of the Nemo I from Rabida Island


Me on Rabida Island (I look terrible in this photo, but it’s the only one I have of me on the island…)


More Sea Lion footage


Snorkeling off Rabida Island. Grumply little critter, ain't he?


View of reef while snorkeling


View from boat of Santiago Island


Rather long video of our submersion and initial descent near Sombrero Chino Island. Eric took this video using my camera, and you first see Peter, our guide, then Eric cuts quickly to me, then back to Peter, then there’s quite a long spell of chaos as we all submerge. Then you see me again – easily identifiable by my massive baldspot and red gloves. I decided to include the video, despite its length, because it sort of captures the experience pretty well.

Eric actually held on to my camera throughout this whole dive, so all of the following underwater photos and videos were taken by him. Gracias, Eric!


John (my Swedish cabinmate) with our new best friend. This sea lion put on an amazing show for us, stopping intermittently to return to the surface for area, then plunging right back down to 90 feet below the surface to do flips and rolls and check out our gear and look us right in the eyes through our masks. It was totally unbelieveable, and one of the most memorable moments of the Galapagos trip!


This video shows a little tidbit of the sea lion’s quite lengthy performance.

No comments: