Friday, April 13, 2007

The Great Barrier Reef, Part I


Christine and me on Thursday morning, about to embark on our 3-day/2-night liveaboard SCUBA diving adventure with Deep Sea Divers Den. Over the next few days, Christine would complete her Open Water Diver certification and we'd both get in quite a few dives along a section of the Great Barrier Reef called Norman Reef.


The first night of our trip, I went SCUBA diving at night for the first time ever.


Even though I look totally relaxed and dashingly handsome in these pics, I was more than a little nervous about the whole thing. I was jumping into pitch-black waters that I knew were full of sharks (I had just watched several sharks swimming off the back of the boat, where I was about to submerge myself). Even though I had it on good authority they weren't the type of sharks that posed much of a threat, it was still really unsettling. Not to mention the overall fear factor of submerging yourself in the ocean far from any landmass when it's completely dark out, with nothing more than a feeble flashlight. And with memories of the film "Open Water" running through your head...


Here I am about to jump in. I have tried for several days to upload a videoclip of my actual submersion, but it has been extremely problematic and after many hours of effort, the only part that appears to be viewable is a 7 second clip of me adjusting my mask strap. But since I invested all that time, I had to include it here. You'll simply have to use your imagination to envision with what sublime grace I stepped off the platform into the black waters... :-)




The next morning: Christine suited up for one of her certification dives.


I can't decide whether I look like I'm about to rob a bank or join the USS Enterprise.


One small corner of the Great Barrier Reef


I don't know what kind of fish this is, but he's kinda cute, no?


Unflattering self-portrait.


My fins...


View of our boat from the water, just after I surfaced from my first dive of the day.


Christine and me, getting ready for our first "fun" dive together!
Here's a video of Christine jumping in:


Me underwater, sans regulator.


Christine, also without her regulator...

Coral clam (sorta gross, if you ask me)

Lionfish (apparently very venomous, which I did not know at the time...)


Video of Lionfish


Blue spotted stingray.


Christine giving the double A-OK.
Me again.

Christine, back on the boat between dives.

Coral bouquet


Gosh, I sure am swimming with a lot of crap attached to me, aren't I?


Video of Christine swimming along close to the surface.


Our first (and only) sea turtle sighting! Watch the video here:


No comments: